Del Mar Online Racing Community
A place to mingle, get to know one-another, and chat about topics that aren't directly horse-racing related.
yeah, I know most of you don't know who Soupy Sales was
and the rest of you probably thought he died years ago ...
But Soupy Sales has died at age 83 ..... he supposedly held the record for throwing pies in people's faces and getting pies thrown in his
He had one of the first kids shows on national TV ... and for years, he was a substitute host for the Tonight Show and did time as a celebrity guest on the quiz shoes, ie,
Hollywoood Squares, Pyramid, Password ... back in the days when you had to have some intelligence to play the games ...
He was great fun ... brought a lot of laughter to the world
his obit mentions his greatest stunt on TV and also contains the interesting tidbit that he was born to the only Jewish family in a North Carolina town ...his parents owned the only dry good stores and sold sheets to the KKK ...(at that time the KKK was as opposed to Jews as it was to blacks )
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091023/ap_ ... t_sales_10
Okay, kids, send in those little pieces of green paper to Soupy now
1) "at that time"--didn't know they rescinded that rule.
2) Used to see Soupy all the time at the Dunes in LV. I don't mean at his show, I mean he'd mingle and eat at the buffet with us minions. Always had a smile on his face and was really great with everybody there. Also, didn't mean to date myself, 'cause I've been going to Vegas since I was a teen. Dunes was the best place for slot play(I wouldn't get carded there) and had a great inexpensive Champagne brunch on the weekends. Whey they blew it up Vegas changed forever. RIP Soupy.
Oh my, where to begin..
1. I think everyone on this Forum, even 14 yo Triple Threat, knows who Soupy Sales was.
2. Intelligence is needed to play Hollywood Squares? I never confused Paul Lynde with Albert Einstein. I'll take Jeopardy with either Art Fleming or Trebek to stimulate the brain waves.
3. The comment starting "at that time.." might be the most ridiculous thing ever posted on this Forum..and that says a LOT..
Speaking about Jeopardy, name me the tallest player in Jeopardy history who was on last week.
He also blew the question about "him." That was hysterical, but overall he is a very smart dude. Knew his love in a number of categories but also blew $8k on that DD. Had he gotten it right he would have been in Tournament of Champions.
Name him for free trip to beautiful Lake Tahoe (love Vegas) with all amenities.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Avatar: My cuzin Isaac Murphy - a jock I'm tying to emulate in character and winning percentage - almost 47% lifetime.
I saw that episode..Manute Bol..all 7'7" of him!
sorry but most people twenty years younger than me do not who he was....maybe socal folks were more aware of him
Maybe Hollywood Squares was not top drawer, but the older quiz shows, Jeopardy, Password, and such did require more intelligence than they do now ..today's tend more towards trivia than history or knowledge
and I don't understand how I win the ridiculous award for my comment on the KKK .... again many people were/are unaware that the KKK of the 1920s and 30s were as opposed to Jews, Catholics, immigrants, everything except White Protestant People ..... as the KKK was against blacks ...
someone I find it completely in character that Soupy Sales would be born of the only Jewish family in this NC town and that family sold the sheets the KKK used ...
Maybe the way it came out was not the way you intended. It almost sounds like you think the KKK and the Jews are BFF's these days..
In Kentucky and W Vir the KKK helped fight against the Union-busters brought in by the big Corps. They prolly picked-off a few Fed. revenuers, too. Still not a nice group, they have morphed over the years. Way back in the hills, they started out more as vigilantes, with a tout sheet of favorites.
Hates blacks, Jews, Catholics - I thought you were talking about Henry Ford there for a minute.
Thank God for the Federal Reserve. You can't have big government or big wars without them.
The statement made is 100% correct. To say somebody made the most ridiculous post ever based on your inference could be the most ridiculous post ever.
Sarcasm:the ability to insult idiots without them realizing it
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest